No one can escape from enduring severe afflictions. All question how to find God in severe afflictions. Where can we look?
In the midst of pure affliction resides the opportunity for each and every one of us to view the hand of the one who created all that is around us. Choose now, because that is our greatest gift, whether you will see or not. We may not yet be able to view His countenance, but at this very moment we can see and benefit from His work. Choose now to follow along with what I witnessed years ago. The conclusion is for you to decide.
I’m standing over my 10 day old son. He’s lying unmoving in an incubator. He’s had tubes coming out of his arms and legs and head. The doctor just told me that she doesn’t know if he will live for die. Where is God in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit? The bible talks a lot about faith, hope, and love. Those are three things that I never think about until they’re gone. Right now, they’re nowhere to be found.
I looked up to heaven, screaming at God. “Where are you? You should be here, helping my son! You say that you are a God of love! This really doesn’t feel like love to me!”
I remember that day like it was yesterday. I felt alone, so alone. The pain was immense. When I looked for God, here are the words that I heard.
- Our son was born in a hospital that could not have helped him. He was discharged after 3 days.
- Our son saw a pediatrician the next day with problems with jaundice.
The pediatrician gave him three days to get better.
- After three days, my wife heard a voice telling her we had to get our son to the hospital.
- Our son was admitted into the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
They put him under special lights to cure the jaundice.
They gave him antibiotics for a urinary tract infection.
- Within 24 hours our son passed a bloody stool.
- Within 40 hours, our son developed 5 holes in his descending Colon. If he wasn’t in All Children’s hospital at that moment receiving antibiotics, he would have died.
- A dear friend came to sit with my wife and I during the long operation.
Another friend watched over us as she worked at the hospital.
- We were able to stay at the Ronald McDonald house where friends and strangers served us our meals.
- My wife spent 12 hours a day, 7 days a week sitting next to our son. Every day, friends came to sit with her offering her lunch and words of encouragement. They shared their stories with my wife and she shared our story with them.
- The doctors and nurses were thorough and loving and caring.
- The doctors and nurses took the time to thoroughly explain every step to us.
In those words, I saw God’s hand.
In the amazing care that our son received … I found hope.
In my daily talks with God … I found faith.
In the helping hands of friends and strangers … I experienced love.
God came near to me; and it was good.
Behold when the day comes when we are all able to see what Isaiah wrote about in Isaiah 6:5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.”